Skip to main content

Magnoli Clothiers - Time Long Coat Review And Guide

I bought the “Time Long Coat” from Magnoli Clothiers in the “Wool Blend” (75% Wool/ 25% Cashmere), “Dark Brown” colour with “Blue” striped lining. I adored the 10th Doctor and wanted to dress like him. However, I didn't want to cosplay; I wanted to embody the spirit and design of the tenth doctor into my everyday wear. The reason why I chose the wool blend instead of the faux suede is this train of thought: I wanted a natural material that is more hard-wearing than faux suede. I have nothing against the material and the look of faux suede. If anything faux suede looks even better than the wool blend. I was simply thinking that the wool would work better in terms of warmth and longevity for daily wear in rain or shine.

I chose a dark brown colour because I wanted to be slightly different from the tenth doctor's design. Furthermore, the “Golden Rod” colour did not work as well for me compared to dark brown (what with my complexion and my black hair). Overall, the colour of the coat was darker and dustier than expected. I wish it was browner in saturation. Perhaps, the wool makes it look dusty or grey like. The fabric itself feels pretty rough in the beginning but softens after a few weeks of wear. The blue lining was darker than I expected (which is good), thus matching the dark brown wool. Additionally, it isn't as heavy as you would expect for a long coat; it is a medium weight coat that is thin enough to fly vigorously against the wind.

To get the right measurements, I communicated with an executive of the company via email many times over. First thing I did was follow the “Leather Jacket” measurement guide (which is what you have to do before purchasing the coat from Magnoli Clothiers). There were some measurements that I knew would fit well on me and some that were discovered after the purchase. Nevertheless, here are my personal tips and measurements used for the coat.

The total length of the coat was fairly easy to confirm. Simply, take a measuring tape and hold it from the base of your neck to your desired length. For example, I held the 48-inch number on the tape and dangled the rest down to imitate the overcoat, discovering my desired length. Remember to adjust for your preference, and wear your high top converse for further accuracy. I decided that the total length of the coat should be slightly touching the top of the sneakers. In hindsight, I would have shortened about 2 inches of the total length so I could walk up escalators easier. 

For the total shoulder width, I added 1/2 inches from my suit.
(Ex. Suit 15 inches, Overcoat 15.5 inches)

If you don't want shoulder pads in your overcoat, I suggest you ask them to remove it and size down from 1/2 inches to 1/4 inches increase to the shoulders.
(Ex. Suit 15 inches, Overcoat 15.25 inches)

When it comes to the armhole, it is okay to have up to 1 or 2 inches of space available.
(Ex. Shirt armhole 7 inches, Suit armhole 7.5 inches or 8 inches, depending on your preference, and Overcoat armhole 8, 8.5, or 9 inches)

The chest measurement should not be increased from your suit measurement because you will be wearing the overcoat open and unbuttoned.
(Ex. Suit 17 inches, Overcoat 17 inches)

For the bottom length, I copied the shoulder measurement (however I don't have broad shoulders, so measure your waist accordingly).
(Ex. Shoulder 16 inches, Bottom 16 inches)

I suggest you leave about 2 inches of room from the biceps, down to the arm opening; again increase the measurement from your suit.
(you can make the arm opening a bit smaller if you prefer, say 1.5 inches instead of 2 inches)

For the total sleeve length, I made it 1.5 inches longer than my suit's
(Ex. Suit 21 inches, Overcoat 22.5 inches). This length covers the dress shirt but doesn't hover over the knuckles like Tennant's coat does; for the screen accurate fans, increase from your suit 2 inches or 2.5 inches for the overcoat.

To conclude, I would recommend the screen accurate Faux Suede Golden Rod W/ Blue Lining Time Long Coat for the best satisfaction. I haven't bought it yet, but will definitely get it when the time comes. I hope this review and guide helps you with your purchase. The examples are what fits my body type. Definitely measure yourself, communicate with the Magnoli Clothiers team, and find out your own preferences. The measurements seen above made sure the coat was slim enough down through the body and roomy enough in the arms. Thank you for your time.

magnoli-clothiers-time-long-coat-1
magnoli-clothiers-time-long-coat-2
magnoli-clothiers-time-long-coat-on-body-1
magnoli-clothiers-time-long-coat-on-body-2 
magnoli-clothiers-time-long-coat-on-body-3
magnoli-clothiers-time-long-coat-on-body-4magnoli-clothiers-time-long-coat-on-body-5
magnoli-clothiers-time-long-coat-on-body-6
magnoli-clothiers-time-long-coat-on-body-7
magnoli-clothiers-time-long-coat-on-body-8

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Casual Suit Style | 5 Ways To Make A Suit More Casual

For the most part, the suit and tie is regarded at a higher level of formality. However, you could still don a full suit casually with the following 5 considerations: choosing elements of a suit that are deemed informal, feeling more comfortable by unfastening buttons, loosening up the tie, displaying less accessories and wearing wider and flatter shoes. To offset the formality of the suit, you should choose features and items that are deemed casual in their selected departments. For example, a dark navy cashmere knit tie with no interlining (thin and less stiff), and a square end, can be said to be a casual tie (for a navy tie). Furthermore, an unstructured suit is a casual suit because of the following elements: no shoulder pads, lining, and limited canvas interfacing. As a result, the suit forms to the body and is susceptible to wrinkling (in the areas of motion). Coupled with a textured fabric and you have one contradicting suit (in-between casual and formal). For instance, a

A Minimalist Approach To Clothes | 2 Is The Magic Number

I had bought many clothes throughout the years that I do not own anymore. As a result, what I've learned from that as many others could relate, is a finer sense of personal style. What are you comfortable of wearing? What do you like and dislike? How do you like garments to fit and feel? Ideally, you want to discover these aspects without wasting time and money. However, it may be necessary to have had these experiences in order for you to discover your preferences. In the end, you should think of it as a test of your personal style because you want to buy and be satisfied with your purchase period. Realistically, nothing lasts forever, yet if you think about it when was the last time that you disposed of a garment due to rips, holes, and fades? Thus, wear out your carefully chosen clothes for what you have to gain and lose from a purchase is more substantial than you may think. Apply minimalism to your wardrobe with this essay's following considerations: discover your signat