Skip to main content

A Minimalist Approach To Clothes | 2 Is The Magic Number

I had bought many clothes throughout the years that I do not own anymore. As a result, what I've learned from that as many others could relate, is a finer sense of personal style. What are you comfortable of wearing? What do you like and dislike? How do you like garments to fit and feel? Ideally, you want to discover these aspects without wasting time and money. However, it may be necessary to have had these experiences in order for you to discover your preferences. In the end, you should think of it as a test of your personal style because you want to buy and be satisfied with your purchase period. Realistically, nothing lasts forever, yet if you think about it when was the last time that you disposed of a garment due to rips, holes, and fades? Thus, wear out your carefully chosen clothes for what you have to gain and lose from a purchase is more substantial than you may think. Apply minimalism to your wardrobe with this essay's following considerations: discover your signature look by echoing at your role models, determine the essential amount of clothes to own, and find out why 2 is the magic number in a minimal wardrobe.

So you don't know where to start, then ask yourself these questions. What looks cool to you? Who does? This image is culled and copied from what we've experienced in our lives. For instance, think about the role models that you have. It is not uncommon that we would want to behave and dress like them. However, do not limit yourself to just real people, also look at works of fiction such as video game characters, movie protagonists, and novel personalities. For the most part, find what or who you are fascinated about and design yourself with that inspiration.

Here are two ways to approach personal style. The first method is to focus on one individual item or element of your look, coming to terms about that particular area (becoming satisfied) and then carefully adding pieces in. For example, say you want to find the perfect pair of pants for everyday wear; put your energy into finding out what your preferences for pants are, and then go materialize those preferences. Whether you like a fuller cut or a slimmer cut or how thick you want the fabric to be and how the fabric would feel; you must take into consideration preferences such as these. I've utilized this method when I first started buying clothes for myself.

The second way is to design an outfit and work towards that image. Essentially, you are employing the same recipe as the first, but including how each individual piece fits into the outfit. This is your signature look. Such as the first method, you need to consider your preferences and desires such as the following: decide on the level of formality, the colour or lack thereof, whether you want to match or contrast, whether there is a piece of clothing you want to emphasize in the outfit, etc. Remember, to take inspiration from your role models and imagine how you would feel in this ensemble, whatever that may be: secure, bold, adventurous, cool, effortless, etc. Subsequently, know that when you bring it all together, there would be mental stability about the outfit from the thought put into it.

Generally, the reason why you want to have an essential amount of clothes in your closet is that you would actually wear all of them. Establishing outfits and designating garments to a particular outfit or function such as 'work out clothes', can help you decide which items to keep and use and which items to donate or be placed away in storage. Essentially, when you do purchase clothes, do it out of both necessity and desire. Above all, when you own something, you are responsible for taking care of it and eventually disposing it in an intentional and thoughtful manner. Starting out, always sit down and think about what you want to wear, before you purchase anything. This helps to minimize your clothing choices. For example, I devise one main outfit and I plan it out with many considerations in mind. I think about how often I would wear this outfit. Is it weather appropriate? Does it work for many occasions? As a guideline, I don my signature look 3 times a week, alternating between days with a second outfit.

The next aspect to consider is this question: What is the essential amount of clothes that I should own? A simple answer is to sync the number of clothes you have with how often you do the laundry. For the most part, you want to own a bit more than enough undergarments and socks to last this cycle, and have the essential amount of outfits to fulfill your needs (look at your life style and habits to determine these outfits). As a result, I tend to wash my outfits every week (or brush and wipe the dry clean only items after every wear). Depending on how hot your environment is, or how much you may sweat from exercise, the total amount of garments should match the number of days that you need them for. For example, I work out about 3 times a week. Therefore, I own 3 pairs of shorts.

There are many benefits to having a minimal wardrobe. Especially when you've decided to wear something, and wear it often: it becomes a part of you. Any self-doubt or insecurities about the way you dress or about the particular item itself is gone. Such is to have an affinity with your clothes. Subsequently, style is a skill that must be nurtured. You should wear out your clothes and make it your second skin. For every time you wash and brush your items, the affinity grows. Say you wear your suit a distinctive way, you like to wear it unfastened, or you like to put your hands in your pockets a particular way; you gain 'points' every time you do that idiosyncrasy. The action becomes primal, and without thought or second-guessing. This is what you want.

To take a peek into my closet, I currently have 6 different outfits that I wear weekly. Function and occasion is what I think about for 5 of them (with the last one being for pleasure). Earlier, I talked about my main outfit, which is the one combination where I spent most of my energy on. It is my signature look and a personal uniform that I wear every week. Consequently, the other outfits are worn for occasions such as: short trips out the house with the car, walking the dog, exercising, and work. Since I've spent most of my attention on my signature look, I haven't put much thought into the others. This is intentional because you want to focus on what excites you and reserve energy on everything else.

Switching between outfits everyday is the norm for most people, right? Who wants to wear the same thing twice in a row? I would, but I don't for this reason. The good thing about alternating clothes is that it makes your clothes last longer. Say you wear black converse sneakers everyday, eventually, it will tear a hole and need to be recycled. If you instead alternate between the black converse and a second white converse throughout the week, again, both kicks will still get a hole and need to be recycled, but it will take significantly longer. Obviously, two is better than one. Let's not forget that one shoe will be able to rest for 24 hours, while the other shoe is on the job. Put some balled up newspaper in them while they rest to soak up moisture to further increase the life of your shoe. Surprisingly, when you have two pairs of shoes that are alternating and resting properly, they last longer than beating up one pair and then buying another.

As a rule, I alternate between my main outfit and my alternative outfit throughout the week, allowing one to rest, while wearing the other. I want to prolong the life of my garments as much as I can and wear them as much as I can, thus having two outfits, two choices is a sound way to go about this. After the 24 hours of rest is up and you need to wear clothes to get out of the house, then you have your chosen outfits ready to go.

Furthermore, within my main outfit, I have two pairs of pants that I alternate between wears as well. Because the suit trouser fades much faster than the jacket; to counteract the different speed of fading and maintain the same fade throughout the suit, it is recommended you alternate between two pairs of pants when wearing a suit jacket. However, the second option need not be an identical pair of trousers. You can choose any other garment. Subsequently, your main outfit becomes two different looks, where you alternate between pants, (and shirt if you like) but keep the jacket.

Personally, I do not like mixing up my clothes to form many outfits. I designate each article of clothing to a particular set, thus having fewer options to choose from. In fact, this limitation is a strength when it comes to developing confidence and style: it gives me a sense of security. For instance, I've planned and deliberated every element many times over; the reasons why, the occasions when, and the subtleties how. It's set in stone. As a result, there's a certain spirit to an outfit that has been pondered over. However, with the new season approaching, my established outfits are being stored away, and I find myself without a plan again.

Say I have my work outfit, which consists of my only remaining zip-up fleece hoodie in a navy, and my leftover vintage blue chinos I bought from Gap (my work warrants clothes that I wouldn't mind ruining); I have two options for shoes, either brown boots or brown sneakers depending on the weather. I've then already designated two shoes out of the ten shoes I have left. Again, I want to be wearing every item I own, and assigning roles to each item helps me achieve that rule.

On the other hand, the feeling of throwing something on and leaving the door without any thought has its own wonders. For example, I've been wearing graphic tees, bright shorts and worn in sneakers for the past few days because of the amazing weather and opportunities for exercise. Although many of those particular items aren't being used in my well-thought-out combinations, in that sense, they have their own place. They could be considered my summer clothes because I haven't touched them until now for I wore plain coloured t-shirts underneath my jackets instead of graphic ones.

To conclude, the minimalist approach to your clothes is all about planning and creating your signature look. In the end, your outfits will become your minimal wardrobe. It is completely fine to be in the middle of decluttering for you may have items that aren't worn on a daily basis. Conversely, my advice to you is to let yourself build one ideal outfit, whether or not you need to purchase something to achieve that; create secondary outfits with the remainder of your closet, and then wear those clothes to death (before starting the creative process again).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magnoli Clothiers - Time Long Coat Review And Guide

I bought the “Time Long Coat” from Magnoli Clothiers in the “Wool Blend” (75% Wool/ 25% Cashmere), “Dark Brown” colour with “Blue” striped lining. I adored the 10th Doctor and wanted to dress like him. However, I didn't want to cosplay; I wanted to embody the spirit and design of the tenth doctor into my everyday wear. The reason why I chose the wool blend instead of the faux suede is this train of thought: I wanted a natural material that is more hard-wearing than faux suede. I have nothing against the material and the look of faux suede. If anything faux suede looks even better than the wool blend. I was simply thinking that the wool would work better in terms of warmth and longevity for daily wear in rain or shine. I chose a dark brown colour because I wanted to be slightly different from the tenth doctor's design. Furthermore, the “Golden Rod” colour did not work as well for me compared to dark brown (what with my complexion and my black hair). Overall, the colour of

Casual Suit Style | 5 Ways To Make A Suit More Casual

For the most part, the suit and tie is regarded at a higher level of formality. However, you could still don a full suit casually with the following 5 considerations: choosing elements of a suit that are deemed informal, feeling more comfortable by unfastening buttons, loosening up the tie, displaying less accessories and wearing wider and flatter shoes. To offset the formality of the suit, you should choose features and items that are deemed casual in their selected departments. For example, a dark navy cashmere knit tie with no interlining (thin and less stiff), and a square end, can be said to be a casual tie (for a navy tie). Furthermore, an unstructured suit is a casual suit because of the following elements: no shoulder pads, lining, and limited canvas interfacing. As a result, the suit forms to the body and is susceptible to wrinkling (in the areas of motion). Coupled with a textured fabric and you have one contradicting suit (in-between casual and formal). For instance, a